Prior to Kevon starting med school, he expressed his desire to go into Emergency Medicine. His desire remains, and so for the past year he has thought he wanted to end up in the Detroit region. Level I trauma centers, one of the highest crime rates in the nation, several residency programs. Obvious choice, right?! At first, I was terrified; who WANTS to live in Detroit? Then, I began to embrace the idea. After all, I am going into social work. What better place for community outreach than Detroit?
Then, my husband second-guessed himself. Kevon knows that Detroit would offer him the exposure to Emergency Medicine, but he would constantly compete with residents for any hands-on experience. 'Ok, honey, so what major city are you considering now?' "Cape Girardeau, MO or Rolla, MO . . . "
![]() |
| This is the face I gave Kevon. Drool and all. |
What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis? The two towns that we have joked about ending up if we went unmatched are now the towns he is placing as his top picks. Goodbye, farmtown. Hello, farmtown. Oh well, whatever makes him happy. I would hate for him to end up in a program where he only gets to observe. Just as I had promised to embrace Detroit, I promise to embrace whatever small town we end up in.

No comments:
Post a Comment